понедельник, 12 марта 2012 г.

Rich guys pay to play with MJ

It was a few minutes before Game 6 of the NBA Finals and theBulls were heading onto the United Center floor to take on the UtahJazz when Michael Jordan spotted WSCR-AM (1160) midday man Mike Northin the tunnel.

"They've all got their game faces on, and he comes up to me asthey're walking out and says, `Are you in shape?' " said North, who,just days earlier, had plunked down his $15,000 to attend Jordan'sadult basketball camp, set for this week in Las Vegas. "I go,`Yeah.' And he goes, `You better be because we're going to run your(butt).' Five minutes before the championship, he's worried if I'min shape."

North says he has cut back on his drinking, added more veggiesto his diet and dropped about 10 pounds since Jordan's friendlywarning, all in preparation to be one of 72 rich guys from around thecountry, age 35 and over, playing with Jordan and Charles Barkleyunder the watchful eyes of coaches such as John Thompson, MikeFratello, Roy Williams and Hubie Brown."I'm taking it seriously, but it'll be fun," said North, who iscelebrating his 20th anniversary with wife Be-Be on the trip. "Youdon't want to go out there and be a goof. I don't want to blow 15grand and then get hurt on the first day."Actually, Bulls fans would remind him, more important than thatis to make sure no one hurts the guy running the camp.NOT IF THEY FALL ON THEIR WALLETS: This isn't North's firstgo-round. He paid $3,500 to attend a fantasy camp with a bunch ofCubs old-timers about three years ago and got hurt the first day out."I dove for a ball and I screwed my hand up real bad," he said. "Ikept playing, but it wasn't as much fun."The Jordan camp, Thursday through Sunday at Bally's, will breakdown into eight teams of nine players."We've got a shorter roster than the NBA, and I think we're morelikely to get hurt than the NBA guys," North said. "You're going tosee hamstrings, knees, everything. You know what I'm saying?"LOSING MY RELIGION: "My dream is to be an evangelist," DeionSanders told the Dallas Morning News. "That's my calling. I amDeion Sanders. I am Prime Time. The words I speak go a long way.They go places pastors and bishops can't go."See? Deion doesn't have a God complex.He just wants to be His spokesman.COOL: Someone asked former Bear William "Refrigerator" Perry howbrutal Soldier Field was in December. "The windshield factor wasreally something," the Fridge supposedly said.THIS JUST IN FROM THE BLEACHERS: The rumor is Cubs fan Ronnie"Woo Woo" is on injured reserve with an ailing knee. Yep, it's beenthat kind of season.MONEY PLAYER: "You're treated just like a real player," Northsaid. "You get a suite. You get per-diem money. You get picked upat the airport in a limo. Nike gives you stuff."I had a guy come up to me, saying, `How can you spend$15,000?' This guy belongs to a country club, so I go, `How can youspend $40,000?' I'd rather spend $15,000 and play basketball withthe greatest player who ever lived. . . . It's a once-in-a-lifetimedeal. To me, it's a no-brainer."ADMIT IT: As you were watching the team from Mexico beat MissionViejo, Calif., in the Little League World Series, you thought it,too. "And now, your 1998 Chicago White Sox . . ."DON'T LAUGH: The title game in Williamsport, Pa., drew 37,400,which is a heck of a lot more then the 1997 Sox attract.HAPPY CAMPERS: Among the Jordan camp highlights will be along-shot contest for a one-year car lease and a three-point contestwith the winner getting a Rolex. The best part?"Michael's going to play us one-on-one and there's going to beindividual instruction," North said. "It's like a fantasy camp,except the guy you're playing with won't be 60 years old. You'replaying with the greatest basketball player right now."THE REVOLUTION WON'T BE TELEVISED: We're hearing the renewalrate among Blackhawks season reservation holders has fallen off quitea bit this summer.THE LAST WORD: "I just want to come back in one piece," Northsaid. "That's all I care about."

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий